Skip to main content

Rediscovering the Theatre

As a child I loved going to the theatre. It was something that my parents and I could enjoy together. The same however can't be said for the pop concerts my poor mother drew the short straw of having to take me to. I don't think she'll ever forgive me for the Jason Donovan concert. Not because of a lack of appreciation for the music, but more from a distinct aversion to being surrounded by hordes of screaming kids. Who can blame her?

The theatre however was much more refined and dignified. Which, to be honest, was half of the appeal for them and I. It seemed such a grown up thing to do sitting on those posh red velour seats, before a huge stage with elaborate sets and costumes. The stories came to life in a way that watching a film on TV never did. It was like being part of something special.

My childhood was filled with shows like; Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Annie get your gun and the Buddy Holly Story (ok that one was Dad's choice). And then I grew up. I went to college, and University and the theatre was forgotten.

Then last Christmas I went to see the Nutcracker and it was like rediscovering an old friend. Despite my years of absence, it was still just as wonderful as I remembered. Though I have made a few small adjustments... There's something indulgent about a trip to the theatre, and it seems only fitting to turn it into a day long event. A morning spent shopping, a leisurely lunch and then an afternoon matinee. It all helps to enhance the experience, honest.

Last week I went to see Billy Elliot at the Birmingham Hippodrome. Utterly brilliant. The sets and costumes were incredible, the cast was fabulous and the choreography amazing. The dancing clothes still make me smile whenever I think of them.

Next week I'm taking my parents to see Dreamboats and Petticoats. I figured it was about time I let Dad choose one again...

The trouble is every time I leave the theatre, still chattering and laughing about the show I've just seen, beneath the excitement is a wistful daydream. If only I'd carried on with my dance lessons...



Comments